Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Fraud Is There

“To sell your soul is the easiest thing in the world. That's what everybody does every hour of his life. If I asked you to keep your soul - would you understand why that's much harder?”
― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

I got into a heated discussion with one of the attorneys for a foreclosure mill. I thought I had gone out of the way in the discussion in front of a judge to indicate that I liked the lawyers at that firm personally, that we had always worked together well, etc.  I was very surprised at the color he turned, and how angry he became.

He quickly told me how he always paid his mortgage, and how dare I question his firm, who put food on his table.  Again, I was really surprised he took it that way.  But ... if you ask ...

You can explain the fraud away ... if you choose.

You can come up with every reason, from the economy on down, of why you should let the fraud exist ... if you choose.

You can just not care about the fraud ... if you choose.

But the fraud is there.  You can tell yourself whatever you need to tell yourself.  But that doesn't change that the documents you hold in your hands are probably frauds.  That fat cats that long ago moved positions so as not to be hurt designed a system so fraught with fraud that it may never fully extricate itself from the system. You probably didn't see much of that windfall, but it's enough to pay the mortgage, that's for sure.

Just know that a lie told a thousand times is still a lie.  Even if you start to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment